Recipe and Photography by Gabbie Behrmann
In the mood for something healthy, but not just a traditional salad? Try this citrus quinoa salad! Quinoa is a grain, found in the Andes, and unlike other grains, provides a healthy dose of protein. The new flavors will leave you satisfied and full of nutrients.
Makes 5-6 servings
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of great northern beans
- 1 large bell pepper
- ¼ diced red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp of Kikkoman Ponzu citrus seasoned dressing and sauce.
- Measure out ½ quinoa, and place it into a saucepan along with 1 cup of water.
- Bring the quinoa to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until all the moisture has soaked in. You will know the quinoa is ready when the spiral on the outside of the seed, has separated from the seed itself.
- When it’s thoroughly cooked, place it in a glass bowl to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Open the can of beans, rinse them through a strainer, and pour them out into a baking pan.
- Chop up your pepper into ½ inch squares. Do the same with the onion, only dice them small. Place into the baking pan with the beans.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the bean-pepper-onion combo and mix it through with your hands.
- Put the pan into the oven for 10-15 min or until tender.
- When it’s done, make sure it cools long enough before combining it with the quinoa.
- Place the quinoa into the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, scoop some out onto a plate and add 1-2 tablespoons of Kikkoman Ponzu citrus seasoned dressing. Be careful not to add too much, the dressing is very strong if in excess.
- Dig in and enjoy! Click here for more tasty treats to bake and enjoy!