By Gabbie Behrmann
For over 40 years, Gabbie Behrmann’s grandma has been making this delicious coffee cake for the whole family to enjoy, now it’s time for the “secret” to be shared.
Makes a 13×9 inch coffee cake
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package Duncan Hines Yellow Deluxe Cake Mix
- 1 packet (¼ ounce each) dry yeast
- 1 cup regular unsifted flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (1 lb. 5 oz.) cherry pie filling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a large (two-quart) saucepan and set aside to cool
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1-½ cups dry cake mix (reserve remaining mix for streusel topping), yeast, flour, eggs and ⅔ cup warm water. Beat for two minutes at a medium speed; scrape bowl often. Spread dough in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan; set aside.
- In the saucepan, combine reserved cake mix with cooled, melted butter to make streusel topping. Mixture will be crumbly; set aside.
- Spoon pie filling evenly over dough in pan. Sprinkle sugar and then streusel topping over filling. Bake immediately at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. If desired, frost with glaze
Combine 1 cup confectioners sugar (sift if lumpy), 1 tablespoon corn syrup and 1 tablespoon water. Drizzle over warm or cool coffee cake.