Recipe and Photography by Gabbie Behrmann
Looking for the perfect side dish to bring to a summer barbeque? Try this old fashioned German potato salad! The sweet and salty flavors will surely leave you wanting more.
Makes 15-20 servings
3 lbs diced, peeled russet potatoes
1 lb bacon, diced
1 white onion, diced
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoon flour
- Begin by boiling the diced, peeled potatoes. Be careful to not over boil them, as this can make them mushy.
- Fry the diced bacon and diced onion together in a large skillet.
- Add all your ingredients, except the potatoes and flour, into the same skillet, bringing it to a boil.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of flour into a little bit of water, and add mixture to skillet. Turn the heat down to medium-low setting.
- Mix with whisk and let simmer until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Grab a large bowl, mix the potatoes and sauce together, and chill before serving.
- Dig in and enjoy!