Recipe by Jessica Jones | Photography by Caroline Bumgarner
Halloween is fast approaching and the annual sugar overload is coming with it, to curb the incoming cavities here is a savory jack-o-lantern pepper recipe to bring the festive spirit to the dinner table.
Crock pot ingredients
2 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (15 ounces)
Outside the crock pot
4 bell peppers your choice of color
2 cups Mexican rice (can be made from mexican ready rice)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- Add chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker,
- Sprinkle seasonings on top and then cover with diced tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken and allow it to remain in the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring pot of water to a boil.
- While waiting, rinse the bell peppers, slice the tops off, and hollow out the inside.
- Use a small knife to cut out a jack-o-lantern face.
- Put peppers and their tops into the pot of water for five minutes to make them tender.
- Remove and set aside to cool
- Prepare the rice
- Mix rice, cheese, black beans, and the crock pot shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- Place peppers in a glass pan and fill them with the mixture.
- Sprinkle with extra cheese on top if desired and put the top on the pepper
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes